Feeling secure in our homes is of paramount importance. When we can separate ourselves from the unpredictability of the outside world, we can feel safe and thus relax. When your home is not reliable, even in small ways, and your security is compromised, it can be hard to feel comfortable. Maybe there’s a natural point of entry you are not considering when securing your home’s access points.
Many homeowners overlook the security of their garage door, as it is thought of as a mere extension of the home rather than part of the main living quarters. However, overlooking its security can set your garage door up for unwanted entry. Here are some tips to help transform your home’s weakest point into its strongest.
- Remove your garage door opener from your car when going inside.
- Don’t clip your garage door opener remote to your visor. Instead, get one that goes on your keychain.
- Secure your garage door’s emergency release.
- Attach a deadbolt on the door connecting to your house.
- Make sure you keep your garage door closed even when home. You wouldn’t leave your front door wide open, so why would you leave your garage door open? This is an invitation for intrusion – not just from humans but from unwanted critters and pests.
- Make sure your garage door is secure, sturdy and operational.
- Install a wide-angle peephole installed on the door between your garage door and your house so you can see what’s going on in your garage without having to open the door.
- Frost or cover up your garage windows with curtains or blinds to prevent curious thieves from peeking in. You don’t want them to see what you have stored in there.
- Padlock the throw-latch on your garage door when you’ll be away for vacation or other long periods of time.
- Keep up with regular maintenance on the mechanical parts of your garage door and keep an eye out for corrosion. Get problems repaired immediately by a professional garage door technician.
Contact M&M Garage Doors
Here at M&M, we are authorized Pella garage door installation and repair experts. The garage doors we install are built with the highest quality materials by trusted manufacturers. To learn more about the products we sell and repair to keep your home as safe as possible, contact us today at 586-610-5434.