Large dents that appear in your garage door will likely indicate the need for replacement, especially when they affect more than one panel. However, those smaller dents and dings may only need a quick repair. Of course, we recommend calling one of our professionals for dent repair or garage door replacement. But here are some tips you may want to consider:
From baseballs to bicycles, there are many ways your garage door can suffer dents. Failing to fix the problem is never a good idea. Whenever your garage door is damaged, the curb appeal of your home will suffer. It signals neglect, as people (including home buyers!) may assume that if your garage door is neglected, the rest of the home is too.
To repair a small dent in your garage door, you can probably use many materials you already have lying around the home. Try one of these two methods.
- wooden block
- putty knife
- patching material
- rubber mallet
What to do:
- Wash down the area with warm water and detergent and let it dry.
- Put the wood block over the dent and tap lightly with the mallet to pop out the dent.
- Use the sand paper to even it out.
- Cover the dented area with patching material, using the putty knife to even it out. Let it dry, then sand again.
- Apply the primer and let it dry.
- Compressed air
- heat source
- aluminum foil
What to do:
- Wash the area with warm water and detergent, drying completely.
- Place a piece of foil over the dented area.
- Heat up the foil with a heat source for one minute.
- Remove the foil.
- Spray the dented area with compressed air upside down for 30 seconds.
While both of the above are good suggestions, stubborn dents won’t respond as well. For those and large, complex dents, always call in a professional. The skilled technicians at M&M Garage Doors have been in the business for many years, honing the knowledge necessary to get the job done quickly yet efficiently.
When you call us, we can diagnose the problem, suggest the best solution, and provide a free quote for the fix. Never leave dents alone. They may seem like small issues at the time but theya can lead to bigger problems down the road, affecting the structural integrity of the entire door. They could even rust. And they will definitely affect the curb appeal of your home.
Contact M&M Garage Doors
Let M&M Garage Doors take care of all your garage door repair or replacement needs. Contact us now for more information or to schedule a repair.